Plastics and their properties
Our competences were trusted by:
- Acquiring comprehensive knowledge about plastics: terms, design, classification, groups
- Identifying properties of plastics in operational and processing state and methods of their testing
- Effective selection of processing parameters that are significant for the quality of the manufactured elements
- Analysis of the chemical and physical processes occurring in the process of plastics processing
- Unassisted assessment of the influence of components on the properties of plastics
- Proper analysis of the influence of operational conditions on the properties of plastics
day 2 h. 9.00 - 16.00
day 3 h. 9.00 - 16.00
fax: +48 32 720 20 52
We are available if you have any questions or concerns
Apply or enquire about the course
regarding the accuracy of selected training
Training rooms and laboratories designed to learn about plastics are large, spacious and air-conditioned. The stations for students feature all necessary specialist equipment. Each participant has at their disposal a PC with simulation software, the latest product catalogues and full access to specialist laboratory equipment.
Our training laboratories enable the students to use industrial laboratory equipment and components provided by leading manufacturers – ZWICK/ROELL, Meusburger, IGUS.
During classes, students do many practical exercises using diversified training and laboratory workstations.
Zwick/Roell ProLine 10 kN Tensile Testing Machine
The machine is used in functional component testing and standardized material testing. The machine features the equipment for tensile testing, bending and compressing with the extensometer for elongation measurement and a system-compatible table to set the machine and a PC:
- Fmax 10 kN,
- Table-top model,
- Two column load frame, H Series,
- 2 steel columns,
- 2 spindle drives with initial load that guarantee clearance-free machine operation,
- test area without the case: 1050 x 440 mm (height x width),
- brushless and maintenance free AC servo drive,
- test speed within the load range 0 - 10 kN:0,0005 ... 1000 mm/min,
- accuracy of the speed setting: 0,05 % of the preset value,
- positioning accuracy: +/-2 μm,
- innovative testControl II electronics.
Zwick Mflow plastometer
A plastometer is used to determine Melt Flow Rate (MFR) and Melt Volume Rate (MVR):
- The device determines MFR and MVR of plastics in compliance with standards: ISO 1133, ASTM D 1328, ASTM D 3364, NF T51-038, JIS K 7210
- Test loads included in the basic unit: 0,325 i 2,16 kg
- Elements: filler funnel, cleaning accessories, USB cable
- Power input: 500W
- Pressure point soft touch keypad
- LCD graphic display, backlit
- Test load range: 0,325 to 21,6 kg
- Temperature range: +50 degrees C to +450 degrees C
ZWICK Charpy Impact Tester
A device is used to test the impact strength of plastics. a classic drop weight testers function on the principle of a linear fall movement. A mass with an impact object is released from a height that is usually defined. Since no other measurement follows specimen penetration, these simple drop weight testers are used for go/no go analysis with the staircase method or in around-the-clock method.
Analog Shore hardness testers
During our training courses, we use analog hardness testers with tripods for Shore A and D durometers and sets of 3 rubber durometer scales of Shore A and D.
Polymeric materials for identification
During practical part of the training course in plastics each participant receives a set of samples and a list of plastics to identify. Plastics that we use for the identification purposes are: PE, PP-R, CPVC, PP, PVC, PCV, ABS, PC, PCV SP, PMA, PMMA, PET, PE, high-density PE, PA, POM, PTFE, POM-C, PEEK, PETP, PU.
Preparing the samples for testing
The participants, with no assistance, prepare samples for tests, for instance using Shore durometers.
Samples and plastics granulates for laboratory testing
For all testing purposes, we use specially prepared samples. The underlying objective in testing the molding materials is a high degree of repeatability. It requires limiting the number of sample types:
- Dumbbell-shaped specimens for strength tests made of 7 types of plastics (PMMA, HDPE, PP, PC, PS, PA, PAGF30)
- Beams for impact tests made of 7 types of plastics (PMMA, HDPE, PP, PC, PS, PA, PAGF30)
- Granulates to determine the melt flow rate made of 8 types of plastics (POLYETHYLENE HD, POLYPROPHYLENE HP 456J, POLYPROPHYLENE HP 500N, PC 1220 U, POLYSTYRENE 535, POLYAMIDE PA6, PA66 G30, PMMA 205)
Ready elements and work pieces made of plastics
The laboratory is also equipped with a variety of ready products made of plastics – elements of car upholstery, cases, bearings made of plastics, industrial joints, car light. Elements are used to present exemplary work or defects.
Training sessions are carried out by industrial representatives and long-standing member of academic staff from units of higher education with considerable experience in implementation and repair projects. Our tutors work for large industrial plants solving technical problems and performing engineering tasks.
The essential elements of the training courses organized by EMT-Systems are content, well-qualified trainers and modern equipment. However, as the Engineering Training Center we also pay attention to the highest quality of catering services.Each day of the course the participants receive:
- A two-course lunch – our cuisine is a combination of traditional, home-made meals known from the modern milk bars and dishes served in restaurants. Every day, there is a selection of soups and main courses.
- Unlimited access to our EMT Coffi Di‘Italian Espresso Bar. During short breaks in classes our students may use the fully stocked coffee bar:
- THERMOPLAN BW 4 – a professional Swiss coffee machine used in best cafes. You may choose the coffee you like best - Cappuccino, Espresso, Americano, Caffe Latte and Turkish Coffee.
- Traditional vending machine serving different types of coffees and hot beverages such as tea, hot chocolate or borscht.
- A selection of kettles, coffees and teas for self service.
- Sparkling and still mineral water, squash.
- A selection of cookies and fruit.
This training is addressed to workers who want to gain or enhance their knowledge on plastics, their production and processing methods.
The main objective of the course is presenting basic theory related to plastics with a view to its practical application in the industry.
Benefits for participants
- Use the fundamental terms in the field of plastics processing
- Understand the basic theory presented during the course
- Understand the necessity of respecting rules for machine exploitation
- Know how to apply the acquired information in practical aspects of their work